Monday, October 5, 2009

Here's another assignment I've got. It's meant to convey a sense of being trapped without using any emotions to say so. I wrote it as a monologue.

Trapped
The luxurious room might as well have been a dungeon. Plush animals stared into oblivion with dead, empty eyes, witnessing events like an unwanted audience. In addition to bars on the windows, drawn curtains further shut us out from the outside world.

Everything else in the room, however rich and pretty, only served to fill it up. Paintings (or at least the ones with eyes) glowered at us from the wall, a small bed might as well have been a pile of straw, and the walls...the walls seemed to be closing in.

My master marched in with his captive, the princess, a pink-clad prison sentence. I ignored their discussion until I was ordered to stand guard. Although I stood on the other side of the bars, I couldn't help but notice their cold, unforgiving steel, immovable as the mountains, red as blood.

Winding stairs were right in front of me, climbing downwards to halls, rooms, and anywhere besides here.

And yet, I could not climb down them, as I was ordered to remain. I realised now that I was caught between the bars and the stairs, a few feet from an exit out of this prison, yet could do nothing. The space I had was even more cramped than the larger dungeon, and far more drab. Cold stones were stacked up, one after another, climbing over me as impassable walls.

I looked at the princess, and her flowing dress now seemed to look like a lock, the barricade of my existence, along with the sash tied around her waist. Her dark blue eyes seemed like an unforgiving ocean, defiant.

One look at her and I knew she'd never give in to the master. She said something doubtlessly inspirational, but at this point, it sounded more like jail doors slamming shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment