Monday, October 26, 2009

Child Prodigies

This might be one of the most 'angsty' bits of poetry I've ever done. An interesting character exercise, though not my cup of tea. Anyway, this is a poem about a child prodigy who isn't understood, who wants friendship and a normal life.

I've been called a genius
A prodigy
I've stood alone
With all my endeavours
There were no fields I didn't conquer
No tasks I couldn't do
Except for one thing,
The only thing that mattered,
The battle for friendship

Taken from places of learning,
Plucked from them before my time,
My school life can be told
In only a few minutes
All because my intellect eclipsed
The exercises they had to offer
I was uprooted like a tree
Even as I introduced myself,
I knew that I would never know
A single classmate that I saw
All those faces, with all those emotions,
Were just strangers, blank dolls,
A society I would never get the chance to study

Nobody knows
To them, I'm just a sideshow
A freak for them to marvel at
The child who has the world in his hands
I hate this loneliness and wish it would end
Isn't there someone who can understand?
I don't want to solve quantum physics
I want a normal life that kids have
Leisure, laughter, and camaraderie
With people who will accept me
Not because I'm famous or smart
But because of who I am

This poem doesn't rhyme
I don't care
I'm a troubled, tormented genius
I can write however I like

No comments:

Post a Comment